Shepherding Your Family
Your job is to be the family shepherd, under the Chief Shepherd, Jesus Christ.
- Make sure that you've entered through, and lead your children through the door. (10:9)
- Nothing will turn your children away from the faith more than hypocrisy on your part.
- Work knowing your family individually (10:3-5, 14).
- This implies spednign quantity time, not just quality time.
- Influence always comes through relationship.
- Set the example for your family (10:4).
- If you want your children to be overcoming their sins, you must be overcoming your sin, beginning on the thought level.
- Lead you family to pastures of God's Word (10:9-10).
- YOu want to communicate by example that God's word and prayer are vital.
- Guard your family from danger (10:10-13).
- From evil influences (teach about spiritual truth and error).
- Serve your family (10:11, 15, 17-18)
- The emphasis is on Jesus' willingly laying down His life for us.
- Tenderly care for each family member, even if not being especially lovable (10:12-13).
The goal is to see our family members without spiritual blemish, holy and blameless, growing in personal and spiritual maturity (Eph. 5:27; 6:4).
We should sacrifice ourselves cheerfully out of love.
Model for your kids the joy of serving Jesus Christ.